Protect the lasting health, beauty of your smile with preventative dentistry in Maryville, TN
At Proffitt Dentistry, we partner closely with patients and their families in Maryville and East TN to keep their mouths healthy and looking fabulous. We do so with a combination of highly skilled and highly experienced professionals and the latest, clinically proven technologies and tools. This blend of personnel and technology further supports a comfortable and pleasant environment; our patients will want to visit regularly.
Additionally, we practice biomimetic dentistry designed to “mimic” healthy natural tissues and the natural design of teeth. We also appreciate that when our patients’ mouths are healthy, they are in the best possible position to keep their bodies healthy. This approach further supports excellent quality of life and overall well-being. Periodontal (gum) disease represents one of the most prominent examples of this oral-systemic health connection; the inflammation and bacteria in advanced gum disease are also implicated in heart disease and cognitive conditions such as dementia.
There is no “silver bullet” or single type of service or treatment designed to protect and preserve your natural teeth; however, regular dental exams and cleanings at our office are a cornerstone of preventive dentistry. These visits are scheduled every six months, but those at elevated risk of developing dental disease may need to visit us more often. During these “check-ups,” Dr. Proffitt and our team will generally:
- Conduct oral cancer screenings to detect abnormalities early when they are easiest to treat successfully.
- Use advanced diagnostics such as safe digital x-rays, which can also be used to identify “hidden” decay or other problems that might otherwise go undetected.
- “Deep clean” the teeth and gum line with scaling and root planing, which is designed to resolve active gum disease and is considered to be a more extensive alternative to “standard” professional cleanings.
- Apply the DIAGNOdent™ laser cavity detection “wand” to illuminate and identify damage in pits, fissures, and other areas where decay can hide.
- Apply safe and discreet plastic coverings called dental sealants to protect decay-prone back teeth.
- Supplement cavity-fighting fluoride with products such as Silver Diamine Fluoride, which can be brushed over damaged areas to build up the teeth and halt destructive decay.
Additional preventive services at our office include various oral appliances to protect the teeth from damage caused by teeth grinding (bruxism) or injuries caused while engaging in sports. Do not put off the health and beauty of your smile for another day. Contact us at (865) 432-0804 to schedule your appointment.
We look forward to meeting you and your family!